The immediate past Member of Parliament (MP) for Mion, Mohammed Abdul-Aziz, has expressed his disappointment for not getting his Constituency Chairman, Alhaji Abdulai Zakaria sacked before the 2020 polls.\r\nHe said he failed to act when he received information that the chairman was working against his re-election bid.\r\nThe Northern Regional NDC in a release on Monday, November 22, 2021, announced the removal of Alhaji Abdulai Zakaria as Mion Constituency Chairman.\r\nThe Regional leadership said the chairman worked against the party\u2019s interest in the last general elections.\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\nThe victim of that betrayal, who\u2019s the former MP in a Citi News interview said he regrets not acting earlier on the allegations brought against his former Chairman.\r\nAccording to him, it was \u201cclear and obvious\u201d that the embattled chairman was working against him, but he didn\u2019t want to destabilise the party ahead of the elections.\r\n\u201cIt was very clear. It wasn\u2019t hidden. I knew that my chairman was in bed with my opponent. His direct siblings were those leading the campaign of my opponent. Some of the executives even asked me to initiate some actions against him even before the elections but I thought that wasn\u2019t the right way to go.\u201d\r\n\u201cI remember telling them in a meeting that when you are going to war, you don\u2019t want to rock your own boat, and so let us stay together and that after the election we can address the issues and I did everything humanly possible to hold the party together but I have regretted it and I should have listened to those who called for his head around that time.\u201d\r\n\r\n\r\nHe said he even got the then flagbearer of the NDC John Mahama on one of his visits to speak to the Constituency Chairman but to no avail.\r\nMeanwhile, the Northern Regional executives of the NDC have urged the suspended Mion Constituency Chairman to seek redress with the Party\u2019s National Executive if he disagrees with his removal.\r\nThe Regional Secretary, Mohammed Abdul Salam in a Citi News interview said due processes were followed.\r\nAccording to him, the chairman was given a fair trial.\r\n\u201cDuring the elections, rumours were rife, but we don\u2019t work with rumours and allegations because you end up chasing everyone out but because this one came with evidence in a formal petition, we needed to walk him through the processes provided bearing in mind that he has a right to a fair trial.\u201d\r\n\u201cSo the report contained the processes which the chairman was taken through following which the Disciplinary Committee came out with its recommendation. We have asked him in the letter that if he feels hard done by this action, he is open to appeal to the national executive council for a review of the decision.\u201d\r\n\r\nBackground\r\nThe\u00a0Northern Regional Disciplinary Committee\u00a0report found him guilty of breach of Oath of Office as provided in Article 48(8) of the NDC constitution.\r\nIn April, some members of the NDC filed a petition against the Chairman for anti-party conduct, and behaviour contributing to the NDC\u2019s loss of the Mion seat, with an attached audio recording on which the Chairman was heard encouraging voters to vote against the NDC.\r\n\r\n\r\nThe Chairman was suspended, and the petition was referred to the Northern Regional Disciplinary Committee for hearing.\r\nThe Northern Regional Disciplinary Committee subsequently recommended his removal from office.