The Deputy Majority Leader, Alex Afenyo-Markin, has filed an urgent question for updates on the second phase of the Blekuso Sea Defense project.
The Minister for Works and Housing is expected in Parliament to address the question after residents in communities on the Keta-Aflao stretch were displaced through flooding caused by tidal waves
“My position was that we need a permanent solution, and we need to look at the problem together as stakeholders,” Mr. Afenyo-Markin said to the press in Parliament on Tuesday.
“Once this is brought to the mainstream and the Minister comes to answer questions, we will then be able to hold the Minister’s feet to the fire regarding the answers he will give and will further push the Finance Minister to make available funds to finance the project,” the Majority Leader said.
The Works and Housing Minister, Francis Asenso-Boakye, has, since the incident, assured that the government is committed to protecting the lives and properties of individuals living in areas hit by tidal waves and coastal erosion.
Mr. Afenyo-Markin also apologised for the use of an erroneous picture at a press conference last week that sparked a fracas between the South Dayi MP, Rockson Dafeamekpor, and Nhyiaeso MP, Stephen Amoah.
The photo was meant to highlight sand-winning activities in the area of the Volta Region dealing with coastal erosion as part of research work by academics.
But Mr. Afenyo-Markin said, “the very website that published the article and accompanied the picture with it and dated it has since pulled it down. It is only fair and proper to sincerely withdraw that picture and apologise for adding it as part of the findings.”